[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 440: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 440: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
millenniumfalcon.com • View topic - The Soundtrack VII
It is currently July 15th 2020 12:17 am

Post Posted: December 16th 2015 1:35 pm

Join: July 29th 2004 10:58 am

Post Posted: December 16th 2015 2:20 pm

darthpsychotic@gmail.com

Join: July 3rd 1971 6:59 pm

Post Posted: December 16th 2015 2:28 pm

Join: July 22nd 2011 8:59 pm
thank you- i've been searching google for this for the past 4 days-

a quick listen but i'm not impressed will return to it later-

Post Posted: December 16th 2015 2:48 pm

Join: October 2nd 2010 7:40 am
So, the track from the trailer (Force theme w/ choir) is not in the soundtrack. I thought the OST would be the saving grace of this whole project, but turns out that it's just 'okay'...

Post Posted: December 16th 2015 3:36 pm

darthpsychotic@gmail.com

Post Posted: December 16th 2015 8:40 pm

Join: October 6th 2004 6:01 pm

Post Posted: December 16th 2015 9:49 pm

Join: January 22nd 2004 10:02 pm
Unfortunately, the score does seem to be one of the common criticisms among the otherwise positive impressions/reviews that I've read so far. That's a shame. :(

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 12:37 am

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 1:00 am

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Williams is in his 80s. It's arguable that he hasn't been great for a decade. Serviceable, sure, but expecting another classic score is asking way too much from him at this point. He used to crank out 3 unique, and memorable, themes per movie and now you're lucky if you get one.

I had major doubts that he would be able to deliver a classic Star Wars score so this isn't a surprise to me.

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 2:35 am

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 9:21 am

Join: February 16th 2004 11:19 pm
This soundtrack is good. I don't want the imperial march version 150. I want new and this is it. I thought the score worked perfectly.

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 9:32 am

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Yep, sounds great to me.
It's not the London Symphony Orchestra but it is a compilation of high class musicians, not just some pick-up band.

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 11:10 am

Join: July 22nd 2011 8:59 pm
Rushing from one action scene to another doesn't give Willams much to work with as far as time to create recurring themes.

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 12:45 pm

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 1:32 pm

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
Gave it a listen..Rey's Theme and Scavenger are my early favorites. I'll be interested to take in the music in the context with their corresponding scenes. Also, I wonder how much music in the film wasn't included in the soundtrack.

I will say, based on just the soundtrack alone, there weren't any spine-tingling moments for me. That may very well change after viewing the film (which I will tonight).

Post Posted: December 17th 2015 10:12 pm

Join: March 22nd 2005 11:53 pm
I love this score.

Nice dry recording sounds a million times better than the flat-sounding prequel scores. No offense to the London Symphony Orchestra, it was the recording/mixing. This Hollywood orchestra was in Temple of Doom mode.

It feels like vintage 70s Williams, with more similarities to Close Encounters, Black Sunday and The Fury than the original Star Wars.

Post Posted: December 18th 2015 4:44 am

Join: October 2nd 2010 7:40 am

Post Posted: December 18th 2015 4:51 am

Join: October 13th 2014 4:07 pm
Something sounded "off" on the Main Title compared to say ANH.

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 7:14 am

Join: February 16th 2004 11:19 pm
Opinion of course. I just want some new music. Didn't meant to come off like a jerk, sorry if I did.

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 1:57 pm

Join: March 10th 2005 9:48 pm
Yes, the opening chord isn't as full. Not as rich or powerful.

There's a discussion about this on reddit and the indication is that this is the result of a 90-piece orchestra instead of 120 like the prequels and OT had. :(

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 2:03 pm

OBGYN

I just got the CD of the soundtrack, cranked it up on my professional home theatre sound system, and the opening theme is as kick ass as ever.
I can't imagine on what shitty system these people are listening.

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 6:37 pm

Join: October 13th 2014 4:07 pm

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 6:44 pm

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 6:46 pm

Bush Pilot

Join: March 23rd 2005 3:46 pm
You don't need a 'professional home theatre sound system' to determine the theme was played with a much smaller orchestra.

I was surprised by the lack of identifiable motifs for the new characters.

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 6:48 pm

Join: June 29th 2004 7:46 pm
My favorite cue is from when Rey is fighting Kylo. I love how the Force Theme clashes with a frantic version of Rey's theme.

I think Williams still has it, but honestly the film itself and the way it is paced, it didn't give him a chance to really develop a lot of recurring motifs. I like the score, and I hope he goes all out with the next film, but, yeah, I can see why some are disappointed. This one is much more subdued than his other SW scores.

Especially compared to ROTS, which I believe is his best SW score, maybe just behind ANH or at least on par with it.

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 7:11 pm

At the start of "The Ways of the Force", you can hear the original intended rendition of the Force Theme when Rey gets the lightsaber. In the film, it was awkwardly replaced with a quote of "The Return Home" from the original score.

Post Posted: December 19th 2015 9:57 pm

OBGYN

It's not a smaller orchestra, it's just a different orchestra. And it sounds great on my sound system.

Post Posted: December 21st 2015 2:12 am

darthpsychotic@gmail.com

Disney uploaded the score to their Vevo account.

After Thursday's evening viewing the soundtrack grew on me much more - particularly The Order's motif which resembles the Emperor's theme in tone. Like wise The Falcon is in the vein of Empire's Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace".

As stated by others the leomotifs are not standouts yet aren't filler like Attack Of The Clones. Still I would liked some more of Empire's scenes Han and Leia. The absence of Imperial March was appreciated however. The full blown inclusion on Attack Of The Clone's finale killed that score for me.

This new film's soundtrack featuring mostly new material will only grow in time.

Post Posted: December 21st 2015 10:58 am

Join: November 16th 2008 3:10 pm

Post Posted: December 21st 2015 12:26 pm

OBGYN

Yes, Korngold's King's Row score is great. First time I heard it, I about jumped out of my seat, then realized it was something else. :jammin:

Post Posted: December 21st 2015 1:00 pm

Join: September 4th 2011 6:10 am
Does anyone out there have a link to the unabridged audio book, preferably with the chapters split into individual ones instead of a full single file?
I thought id found it today but it was just a stream. Im looking for the full download to save to my pc.

Post Posted: December 22nd 2015 11:06 am

Join: May 7th 2005 6:53 am

Post Posted: December 31st 2015 6:13 pm

Join: December 1st 2004 9:42 pm
This soundtrack has grown on me since I first saw the film - but I still think its too often disjointed, chaotic, incoherent. It just too abruptly follows every beat of the film, and at times it just feels like random brass instruments blaring back & forth. There are a lot of great moments though, and I didn't realize how much I liked Rey's theme when I saw the film. That is a wonderful addition to the saga.

Post Posted: January 2nd 2016 9:11 am

Post Posted: January 2nd 2016 11:22 am

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
My favourite musical moment of the film is when Rey meets BB-8. It has a Spielergian, almost ET-like charm.

Post Posted: January 2nd 2016 4:39 pm

Join: December 30th 2004 7:13 am
Rey's theme is a tune that stuck, after the first two viewings. A highlight
of the films score for me was the last scene.

The score's does seem too down in the mix compared to the other films.

Some interesting observations about Mr Williams body of work at this link.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... -star-wars

Post Posted: January 4th 2016 5:24 pm

Post Posted: August 25th 2016 2:36 am

Title:
Join: October 8th 2014 9:20 am
Hey.

Does anybody knows a good Source To watch or Download the whole AFI Award Show for John Williams?

Post Posted: September 3rd 2016 3:59 pm

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
Here's a piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzEM5UUnh6w

There are also more pieces from the AFI YouTube channel. It'd be great to find the whole damn thing.

Jump to:  

millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©