[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
millenniumfalcon.com • View topic - Irvin Kershner • Director Of Empire Strikes Back • 1923 - 2010
It is currently February 16th 2020 3:04 pm

Post Posted: November 29th 2010 8:29 am

Title:
Join: January 4th 2009 3:49 am

Post Posted: November 29th 2010 10:05 am

Join: August 24th 2004 8:30 pm

Post Posted: November 29th 2010 12:24 pm

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm

Post Posted: November 29th 2010 4:25 pm

Join: October 28th 2010 8:30 pm

Post Posted: November 29th 2010 7:11 pm

Join: January 22nd 2004 10:02 pm

Post Posted: November 29th 2010 8:29 pm

Bush Pilot

Join: March 23rd 2005 3:46 pm

Post Posted: November 29th 2010 8:53 pm

Join: October 28th 2010 8:30 pm

Post Posted: November 30th 2010 1:07 am

Join: April 24th 1981 6:59 pm
I love what Kershner did in TESB...

But its not like everything the guy did turned to gold. For all we know if he had been brought in for AOTC or ROTS it could've been another Robocop 2 or Never Say Never Again, both of which were not only mere sequels, but awful ones at that.

Post Posted: November 30th 2010 9:32 am

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm

Post Posted: November 30th 2010 12:26 pm

Title:

Post Posted: November 30th 2010 2:00 pm

Join: April 20th 2004 11:57 pm

Post Posted: November 30th 2010 8:02 pm

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm

Post Posted: November 30th 2010 8:11 pm

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am

Post Posted: November 30th 2010 10:41 pm

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am

Post Posted: December 1st 2010 11:10 am

Title:

Post Posted: December 4th 2010 11:42 pm

Join: September 6th 2004 12:20 am

Post Posted: December 5th 2010 2:51 pm

Join: April 20th 2004 11:57 pm

Post Posted: December 12th 2010 1:57 pm

Title:
Join: May 26th 2005 1:23 am
R.I.P Mr. Kershner.

I must admit to never having watched, with my adult eyes, many James Bond films, let alone the one directed by Mr. Kershner. Or Robocop II for that matter, although I recall not hating it as much as everyone else. I somewhat remember the story itself was most of my issue, as opposed to the directing or performances. The DVD is collecting dust around here somewhere. In honor of Mr. Kershner, I may have to dig it up and watch it. Considering ESB is on constant rotation in my brain, as well as getting a full on night at the movies treatment three to four times a year already, I don't need to make a special occasion of that one to know it's awesomeness. But I appreciate Mr. Kershner's contribution to film, and the Star Wars universe in particular, and I respectfully wish his spirit well navigating the great mystery beyond.

Personally, I think the real 'almost hidden-yet still very powerful' magic of Empire, was due in most part to the collaborative effort of Kershner and Lucas. Their chemistry, and the overall attitude behind the production comes across onscreen. I wrote a 5 page essay about it for my ENG111 class. I got an 'A', albeit it from my non-Star Wars loving professor, but the point is no one person can be credited with making it such a phenomenal film. So much of it is great, from the effects, the music, the commitment of wisdom to celluloid and its dissemination to the masses, the youth in particular. All that makes The Empire Strikes Back a real event, as opposed to just a movie, for me. But if any one person must be awarded 'most' credit honors, Kershner gets it for possibly inspiring, and definately capturing, that underlying look of believability in the eyes of the actors.

I applaud and thank Mr. Lucas for Star Wars. But, from all accounts: from written interviews, documentary films, hell even the commentaries of himself and others on his own DVD releases, he isn't a people person. Sadly, at least for the bravado OT fans had prior to TPM, that social inneptness came across all over the screen from 99' on. And it's acceptable to me, as my eyes and ears eat up so much of it I'm still enthralled. But my brain knows the people onscreen are lying. And still today, if you watch Empire, it looks like the people really believe it. And for that bit of magic, thanks Mr. Kershner.

Jump to:  

millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©